Crunchy Yellow Pickled Daikon (Takuan)
Love this simple pickled daikon recipe that is a Japanese island favorite. Daikon is a white radish that can be found in local supermarkets.
- 3 quarts sliced daikon
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- Peel and clean daikon. Then slice lengthwise then slice again into ¼ inch pieces.
- Place sliced daikon into bowl and add salt. Let soak for 2½ hours at room temperature. Then drain juices. Then place into jars.
- Boil vinegar, sugar and water; add food coloring. Pour over daikon and refrigerate.
- You can eat it immediately, but if you what a few days it will taste better.