Tropical Jam Thumbprint Cookies
For the jam filling, we used papaya pineapple and guava. Someone gave us some lilikoi jelly, which we used also. The jams work better, but the lilikoi jelly was still delicious. Our favorite filling was the papaya pineapple. Enjoy!
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small package sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 small package macadamia nuts, chopped
- Guava, papaya pineapple, lilkoi jelly jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar until just combined, then add ½ teaspoon vanilla.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift together flour and salt. Add flour to butter mixture and mix on low speed until dough starts coming together. Place on floured board and roll into a flat disc. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Beat egg and water to form an egg wash.
- Form dough into 1¼-inch balls. Dip each into egg wash and roll half of the dough balls in coconut flakes and the other half in chopped macadamia nuts, if desired.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and press lightly with your thumb to make an indentation. Fill with ½ teaspoon of jam.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Here’s a simpler version for this recipe.