Two Delicious Strawberry Mochi Recipes
Here are two different ways to make this Japanese local sweet treat. Enjoy!
Strawberry Mochi - Whole Strawberries
This recipe uses whole strawberries and red bean paste.
Cuisine: Japanese & Local Style Recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
- 100 grams tsubu-an (red bean paste)
- 6 strawberries
- 3 Kiri-mochi (square rice cakes)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Mochitoriko or corn starch
- Divide red bean paste into 6 portions.
- Then wrap strawberries into red bean paste
- Take 3 square rice cakes and place in microwaveable container and add sugar and water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 3 minutes.
- Use a wooden spatula and knead mixture. Mix until water dissolves.
- Place mixture and dust with starch. Then divide into 6 portions. Flatten each portion and dust of excess starch.
- Then place the bean paste strawberry and pinch to seal.
Ichigo Daifuku (Strawberry Mochi Rice Cake) イチゴ大福 作り方 レシピ – OCHIKERON – CREATE EAT HAPPY
Strawberry Mochi Recipe - Cream Cheese
This recipe uses strawberry preserves with no red bean paste.
Cuisine: Japanese & Local Style Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
- Cream cheese filling ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 ounce cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Mochi ingredients:
- 2¾ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (16 oz.) box mochiko
- 1 teaspoon almond extracct
- Each Katakuriko (potato starch)
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- Cream cheese filling instructions:
Combine the following ingredients - powdered sugar, cream cheese and almond extract and mix until well blended. Refrigerate until firm (overnight).
- Mochi instructions:
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add sugar and blend until dissolved and reduce heat to medium low. Add ¼ cup mochiko at a time to water and sugar mixture.Stir mixture continually, and add more mochiko ¼ cup at a time then almond extract. Mixture should be smooth and dough will be thick and sticky.
- Next, dust area with katakuriko, and add hot mochi to dusted surface; knead until smooth. (Use latex gloves to protect hands if needed)
- Take about 2 tablespoons of mochi dough and roll into a ball and then flatten. Use about ½ teaspoon each of the cream cheese and strawberry preserves and place in center of dough. Fold and pinch edges to seal.
- Let cool on waxed paper.
To make your mochi different colors, just a some food coloring to dough. Enjoy!