Local Style Shrimp Curry
Here’s a simple tasty Hawaiian style shrimp curry recipe. Add more or less curry powder according to your taste. Enjoy!
Cuisine: Hawaiian Local Style Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Curry sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ clove garlic, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons ginger, chopped
- ¾ cup onions, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons, curry powder, adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ package frozen coconut milk, thawed
- Garnish: (optional) shredded coconut, cashews, green onions
- Raw shrimp: Clean and remove shell, vein and tail from shrimp. In a skillet, heat oil and add raw shrimp and sprinkle with curry powder. Cook until shrimp turns pink.
- Curry sauce: In a medium size skillet, melt butter and add garlic, ginger and onions. Cook onions until translucent.
- Next, whisk in sugar, salt, curry powder and flour. Gradually add in coconut milk. Continue to whisk so sauce stays smooth. Cook on low boil until desired thickness. For a thinner sauce add a little chicken broth, or coconut milk for a thicker consistency.
- Stir in cooked shrimp and heat through.
- Serve over hot rice and garnish, if desired.
Hawaiian Style Shrimp Curry