Favorite Shoyu Chicken Recipes
Here are a few of our favorite shoyu chicken recipes. Enjoy!
Tasty Shoyu Chicken
Cuisine: Local Style
- 2 pounds frozen or fresh chicken thighs, with skin and bone-in
- 1 can chicken broth
- ¾ cup Aloha shoyu, or Yamasa premium soy sauce
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 (2-inch) fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 to 3 stalks of green onions, sliced or chopped
- Chicken Preparation: If using frozen thighs, thaw completely in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Sauce: In a large pot, add soy sauce, brown sugar and cook over medium high heat until sugar dissolves. Then stir in chicken broth, add garlic and sliced ginger, heat for a few minutes. Then add chicken thighs and bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer on low.
- Cook 1 to 2 hours, or until chicken is fork tender. Periodically skim surface to take out oil and brown impurities floating on the surface. When chicken is done, place on a platter.
- Combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Set aside.
- In another pot or bowl, pour remaining sauce through a strainer, then add strained sauce to pot and bring to a boil. Add about a third of cornstarch mixture to sauce and whisk, then bring back to a boil and whisk in more cornstarch until thickened. When sauce coats the back of a spoon turn off heat.
- Pour some of the sauce over chicken and reserve some to pour over rice, if desired.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.