Shoyu Chicken Drive Inn Style Recipe
Here’s a copycat recipe by a former cook at Rainbow Drive-In. Adding some Worcestershire sauce and vinegar to your basic shoyu chicken recipe makes this very tasty too!
Shoyu Chicken Drive Inn
Cuisine: Hawaiian Style
- 5 pounds chicken thighs, with bone and skin
- 1¼ cups Aloha shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2½ teaspoons garlic puree
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ inch fresh ginger, crushed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Mix together sauce ingredients; set aside. Heat a large saute pan on medium heat and then add chicken thighs and sauce. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes; or until chicken is desired tenderness, then skim off excess fat.
- Remove chicken and place on platter. Bring sauce to a boil and thicken with flour or cornstarch mixture. Lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Sue Maynard, former cook at Rainbow Drive-In in Honolulu, HI.