Delicious Short Ribs Pipi Kaula
A local favorite, Pipi Kaula Short iRbs. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds short ribs
- ½ cups shoyu
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Butterfly short ribs into 1 long piece, and about ½ inch thick. Mix together shoyu, sugar, ginger and crushed garlic. Add short ribs to shoyu mixture and marinade 1-2 hours. Turn serveral times during marinade period.
- Sun dry:
In a screened dry box, place drained short ribs and sun dry for 1 full day. Turn short ribs once.
Heat skillet and add a little oil. Pan fry short ribs or oven broil. Slice into smaller pieces while hot.
Try this oven style Beef Pipi Kaula recipe.
Oven Style Pipi Kaula
- 3 pounds flank steak
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Hawaiian salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper
- Cut flank steak with the grain every 1½ to 2 inches.
- Combine marinade ingredients and place in ziploc bag; add meat. Marinade overnight.
- Preheat 175 degrees, slow cook for 7 to 8 hours.
- Slice against grain and enjoy.
Pipikaula (Hawaiian Beef Jerky)