Country Fair Punahou Portuguese Bean Soup
They’re two recipes for this local favorite for Punahou’s Portuguese bean soup. The first one from Star Bulletin dated 1999 and the second from Honolulu Advertiser dated 2005. Both recipes are similar, one uses can kidney beans and tomato sauce along with the whole tomatoes. Both are delicious. Enjoy!
- ½ pound dry kidney beans
- 2 quarts or 8 cups water
- 1 pound smoked ham hocks
- 2 large russet potatoes, cubed
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce *
- 1 pound Portuguese sausage, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small cabbage, cubed *
- 1 cup macaroni (optional)
- Soak and cook beans according to package instructions.
- In a large pot add 2 quarts water and ham hocks and bring to a boil and simmer for several hours or until meat is tender.
- Add beans, sausage, vegetables, tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer for about an hour. Stir soup frequently.
- Add cabbage and macaroni and cook until macaroni is tender.
For a heartier and thicker soup add all of the cabbage and macaroni. Both ways are delicious. If you want it meatier add 2-3 ham shanks and cook along with the ham hocks. Enjoy!