Delicious Pumpkin Haupia Pie
Try this delicious pumpkin haupia pie recipe for your Thanksgiving dessert. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Haupia Pie
Recipe Resource: adapted from Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
Cuisine: Hawaiian Local Style Recipe
- Pie crust:
- 1 frozen 9-inch deep pie crust
- Pumpkin filling:
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups Libby's pure pumpkin
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- Haupia filling:
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 package (12 oz.) frozen coconut milk, thawed
- ¼ cup sugar
- Topping: Whipped cream, toasted coconut, optional
- Pie crust prep: Let frozen pie shell sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Pumpkin: Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves. Beat egg in a medium size bowl, then stir in 1¼ cup pumpkin and sugar mixture. Next, slowly stir in ¾ cup evaporated milk. Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 15 to 25 minutes, depending on your oven. Check by Inserting a knife in center and if it comes out clean, then remove from oven. Cool on wire rack for 1½ hours.
- Haupia: Start haupia after pumpkin pie has cooled for about 1½ hours..
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add coconut milk and sugar and bring almost to a boil. Remove and lower heat. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and place back on heat. Continually whisk until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes; stirring a few times throughout.
- Pour haupia mixture into pumpkin pie and refrigerate until haupia is set. About 1 to 3 hours for everything to set perfectly.
- Topping: add whipped cream and toasted shredded coconut, before serving.
To toast shredded coconut, just add to a heated skillet and stir until it starts to brown. Enjoy!