Delicious Portuguese Sweet Bread
Try this recipe by Frank Delima 🙂 Here are a few tempting Portuguese Sweet Bread recipes. Enjoy!
Portuguese Sweet Bread (Five Loaves)
Recipe Resource: adapted from Frank Delima
Cuisine: Portuguese Local Style Recipes
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ pound Crisco
- 3 packages dry yeast
- 5 pounds flour
- ½ cup warm water
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- Egg wash
- Combine milk, salt and lard in a sauce pan; bring to a boil. Set aside.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour and ½ cup warm milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and lemon zest thoroughly, then add milk mixture, yeast mixture and remaining flour. Thoroughly combine and set aside to rise kneading 6 times every ½ hour. Bread will take 6 hours to rise.
- Grease 5 round loaf pans with butter or lard.
- Equally divide dough and place in pans, it should half full.
- Knead dough and let it rise again until it reaches the top of pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush tops with egg wash and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Try this for a special breakfast 🙂
Sweet Bread French Toast Casserole
Recipe Resource: adapted from KTA Chef Michi Harris
- Casserole ingredients:
- 1 loaf Portuguese sweet bread, sliced into 20 (1-inch) pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking spray
- Macadamia nut topping:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup candied macadamia nuts, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut pancake syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Casserole instructions: Spray a 9x13 baking dish and place sliced sweet bread in 2 rows overlapping the slices. Whisk eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt or use a rotary beater until blended, but not too bubbly. Then, pour mixture evenly over sweet bread slices, making sure to spoon between slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine macadamia nut topping ingredients and evenly spread over sweet bread. Bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly golden and puffed.
- Serve with coconut pancake syrup, if desired.