Best Ever Portuguese Sausage Lasagna
This ultimate cheesy, meaty and so flavorful lasagna, using our local Portuguese sausage turned out super delicious.
We used a meaty cheesy recipe from Food.com, called the Absolute Best Ever Lasagna. We swapped out the Italian sausage and used our delicious local Portuguese sausage.
Now it’s the best ever lasagna. 🙂
- Lasagna Sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (10-oz) package Gouvea's Portuguese sausage, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons Hawaiian salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 (14½ ounce) cans whole tomatoes, un-drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 12 -15 lasagna noodles
- Cheese Mixture
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, divided
- Sauce: In a large skillet, brown ground beef with sausage, onions and garlic. Add all seasonings, whole tomatoes with juice and tomato paste, stir until mixed. Cover and simmer for about an hour.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Cheese mixture: In a large mixing bowl, add cheese ingredients, using ½ mozzarella cheese, you will use the other half later.
- Spray or lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Place lasagna noodles on bottom of pan, ½ meat sauce and ½ cheese mixture. Then repeat again. Cover the noodles with the remaining mozzarella cheese, be sure to cover completely. Cover with foil (spray the inside of foil with cooking spray), that will help cheese from sticking to foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-60 minutes or until cheese is melted. You can uncover and cook for 15 additional minutes so that the top browns a little.