Local Style Portuguese Pot Roast
Great for Sunday dinners or special occasions. Enjoy!
Portuguese Pot Roast
Cuisine: Portuguese Local Style Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1¼ cup wine
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 pound chuck or rump roast
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Cornstarch and water
- Place roast in a medium size bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together onion, garlic, vinegar, wine, sugar, horseradish salt. Pour over roast and let marinade overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove roast from marinade and keep marinade for later. Pat dry roast and coat in flour. Add oil to pot and brown roast.
- Pour half of the marinade over roast and simmer until tender. Add remaining marinade throughout cooking to keep meat tender.
- Remove roast from pot and set aside. Turn heat to medium high. Combine cornstarch and water and add to juices to thicken gravy. Stir continuously until thickened.
- Slice roast and serve with gravy.