Local Style Poi Doughnuts
Try this delicious Poi Doughnuts (Andagi style) recipe with an optional glazed recipe. It’s a denser type of doughnut.
Cuisine: Hawaiian & Local Style Recipe
- Poi doughnut ingredients:
- 3 large eggs, add water to make 1⅓ cups liquid mixture
- 3 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (20 oz.) bag poi
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Glaze ingredients (optional):
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Poi doughnut instructions:
- Beat eggs and water, then add poi and mix well.
- Mix together flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Then mix poi mixture into dry ingredients.
- Add oil to pot 3 inches deep. Temperature should be at 300 degrees or medium heat.
- Carefully drop golf ball sized portions of dough into oil, with enough space between doughnuts for expansion.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).
- Glaze instructions:
- In a saucepan, add milk and vanilla. Then warm on low heat.
- Sift powdered sugar into mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Remove saucepan from heat and place over a bowl of warm water.
- Finally, dip poi doughnuts into glaze and place on rack for 5 minutes to set.