Fresh Pickled Ginger Recipe
Simple fresh pickled ginger recipe. Normally used to cleanse your palate when eating sushi. Enjoy!
Pickled Ginger Recipe
Cuisine: Japanese Local Style Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh young ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1½ tablespoons Hawaiian salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup Japanese rice vinegar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Sesame seeds, optional
- In a medium size bowl, add ginger slices and season with Hawaiian salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Rinse and drain ginger well.
- In a medium size saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar and water; bring to a rolling bowl. Carefully pour mixture over ginger slices, let stand until cooled. Then add ½ teaspoon red food coloring and mix well.
- Keep refrigerated.
Sushi: How to Make Pickled Ginger