Two Favorite Pancit Bihon Recipe
Here are two different recipe styles of making pancit, a local favorite in Hawaii. Enjoy!
Cuisine: Filipino Local Style Recipe
- 4-5 tablespoons oil, for frying
- 2-3 cloves garlic,chopped
- ½ cup onions,chopped
- 2 chicken thighs, boiled and shredded (keep broth)
- 10-15 fresh green beans, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Fish Sauce
- 10-15 pieces Chinese flat peas, thinly sliced
- ½ medium cabbage, shredded
- soy sauce
- 1 package rice sticks (pancit bihon), cut and soaked in water 20 minutes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- ½ cup green onions
- Add oil and heat in wok. Saute garlic and onions and add in cooked shredded chicken.
- Next, add green beans and carrots; stir fry and a pinch of black pepper. Add a little chicken broth (from boiled thighs) and mix together.
- Add fish sauce and Chinese flat peas and mix, then cabbage. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add soy sauce to noodles and mix. To wok, add remaining chicken broth (from boiled thighs) and bring to a boil. Add chicken bouillon, noodles and pepper to wok. Bring to a rolling boil, then lower heat until noodles are cooked through.
- Then add all the ingredients together and mix with noodles until liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with green onions.
Cooking with Tina Diaz – Pancit Bihon
Cooking w/ Tina Diaz – Pancit Bihon Pt.2
Pancit Bihon Recipe
- 8 ounce rice sticks, bihon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded, cut ⅛ inch
- 1 medium carrot, shredded, cut ⅛ inch
- 1 pound shrimp (31/35 size), peeled and deveined
- 3 pieces chicken thighs or drumsticks, cooked and shredded
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ each lemon, juiced
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup green onions, cut 1-inch thick
- In a large skillet, on medium-high heat add oil and then garlic and onion. Cook until onions are translucent. Then add in cabbage and carrots; cook until wilted.
- Next, add chicken and shrimp. Cook for a few minutes. Place mixture into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add chicken stock to skillet and bring to a boil and then turn heat down to medium. Carefully add rice sticks, soy sauce and fish sauce to chicken stock and boil for about 5 minutes. Cook until ¼ cup liquid remains.
- Add chicken and vegetables back into skillet and toss until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add pepper, lemon juice and green onions; toss together.