Oxtail Soup Local Style Recipe
Try this simple and tasty island favorite oxtail soup recipe.
To spice it up add some chili pepper flakes or a few drops of sriracha sauce. Enjoy!
Cuisine: Local Style Recipe
- 2 pounds oxtails
- 5 quarts water
- 4 cans chicken broth
- 1 piece dried orange peel
- 2 star anise
- 2 (1 inch) pieces of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- ½ cup raw peanuts, remove shell and skin
- 5 pieces dried shiitake mushroom, soaked and sliced
- Hawaiian salt, to taste
- 1 small bunch Chinese mustard cabbage, rough cut into 1½ inch sections
- Optional: Chinese parsley or green onions
- In a large pot, add oxtails and water; bring to a boil. As the water is boiling skim off excess fat and bring down to a simmer. Continually remove impurities and then drain water.
- Next, add chicken broth, orange peel, star anise, and ginger; bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for about an hour and skim off excess fat throughout to have a clearer broth.
- Add in raw peanuts, shiitake mushrooms and Hawaiian salt and simmer for about 1½ hours.
- Add mustard cabbage and garnish individual servings with Chinese parsley.
Serve with hot rice and this makes a great light meal. Enjoy!
How to Make Oxtail Soup