Tasty Okinawan Shoyu Pork
Simple and delicious local Okinawan shoyu pork recipe. Great as a side dish. Enjoy!
Okinawan Shoyu Pork
- 1½ pounds pork belly
- ½ cup sake
- ⅓ cup shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup mirin
- Green onions, garnish (optional)
- In a large pot add pork belly and cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil and turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. This is to remove excess fat. Drain and rinse pork, then cut into 1 to 1½-inch pieces.
- In a large pot, add sake, shoyu and ginger then bring to a boil. Add pork pieces to mixture, cover and simmer for about an hour. Turning pieces 3 to 4 times throughout the hour. This will evenly glaze pork.
- Mix together sugar and mirin and stir into pork pieces. Cook for another 45 minutes uncovered until pork is soft and evenly glazed.