Mango & Haupia Mochi Ice Cream
Delicious mango and haupia mochi ice cream recipe is perfect for the summer months. Enjoy!
Mochi Ice Cream
Cuisine: Japanese Local Style
- ¾ cup mochiko flour
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup potato starch or cornstarch
- Mango, Haupia or your favorite ice cream
- Other Items
- 12 aluminum cupcake liners
- Cookie dough scoop
- Rolling pin
- Line cupcake baking pan with aluminum cupcake liners. Quickly scoop ice cream and place in each liner. Place in freezer until frozen solid, do this before you start making the mochi.
- Stir together mochiko flour and sugar, then add water and whisk until combined. You can either microwave or steam.
- Microwave: Cover microwavable bowl loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave for 1 minute (1200 w). Using a wet spatula stir mochi mixture. Cover and cook for another minute; take out and stir again. Microwave another 30 seconds. Mochi should be translucent.
- Or Steaming Method: Cover steamer lid with a towel to absorb moisture. Place bowl in steamer basket and cook for 15 minutes. About half way through, stir with wet rubber spatula and finish steaming.
- Lay parchment paper on work surface and dust with potato starch. Transfer cooked mochi and place on surface; add more starch on top of mochi (this will help from mochi sticking to your hands). Dust your hands and rolling pin with more starch and start rolling mixture out.
- Place on large baking sheet and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes until mochi is set.
- Cut out 7 to 8 circles with a cookie cutter or a round bowl or cup. Dust off excess starch and place on top of plastic wrap, continue placing each on top each other separating with plastic wrap.
- Place one sheet of plastic wrap on work surface. Place mochi on top and place ice cream ball on mochi. Pinch four corners to form mochi balls (when mochi gets sticky add potato starch on area and seal edges). Cover with wrap and twist to seal entire mochi ball. Place in cupcake pan and immediately place back in freezer. Keep ice cream in freezer and take out one at a time.
- Keep in freezer until ready to eat.
Watch video below before you start making this, it will make the process easier. Enjoy!
How to Make Mochi Ice Cream (Recipe) もちアイスクリームの作り方（レシピ）