Local Style Steamed Manapua
Steam pork Manapua “Char Siu Bao,” a local favorite in Hawaii.
Try dipping it in a little shoyu hot mustard, delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup dried shrimp, chopped
- ¾ pound char siu, diced
- 4 water chestnuts, diced
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package hot roll mix (13-3/4 ounces)
- Heat oil in skillet. Add all ingredients except for hot roll mix. Fry slightly.
- Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions.
- Let dough rise until doubled in size.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Pinch dough into twelve 1-1/2 inch balls.
- Flatten pieces of dough, keeping center thicker than the edges.
- Put a tablespoon of meat mixture in center.
- Form buns by pinching edges together to seal filling.
- Place on wax paper squares, seam side down.
- Cover and let rise until doubled again (about an hour).
- Steam for 15 minutes.