Luscious Lilikoi Jello Chiffon Pie
This recipe is from a collection of University of Hawaii passion fruit contest winners. We hope to try each and every one of these recipes. Here is the download link Lilikoi-Desserts.pdf to these luscious desserts.
Here is the first one we had to make and it didn’t disappoint. Enjoy!
- Coconut pie shell:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup coconut, grated
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 2½ – 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 box lemon jello
- 1 lime, juice only
- ½ cup passion fruit juice
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Coconut topping:
- ½ pint whipping cream
- ⅓ cup coconut, grated and toasted
- Coconut pie shell: Sift flour and salt, then add coconut. Cut in shortening and proceed as usual. Bake at 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Filling: Combine slightly beaten eggs and sugar in top of double boiler and mix well, then add cup water and blend together. Stirring constantly, cook over hot water until mixture coats spoon. Remove from heat and add package of lemon jello. Stir until jello dissolves. Cool and then add juices from lime and passion fruit. Chill in refrigerator until slightly thickened.
- Beet 4 eggs whites until foamy, and gradually add ⅓ cup sugar until mixture becomes stiff. Fold chilled passion fruit jello mixture into egg whites. Pour mixture into chilled baked coconut pie shell and refrigerate until firm. Top with whipped cream and toasted grated coconut.
- Coconut topping: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast grated coconut in shallow baking pan.