Lau Lau with Butter Fish
Delicious lau lau with butterfish and must have poi. Enjoy!
- 1 pound lu'au (taro) leaves
- 12 ti leaves
- 1¼ pound pork, separate fat pieces
- ¾ pound salted butterfish
- Wash luau and ti leaves; remove stem and fibrous part of the veins.
- Cut pork, pork fat and fish into 6 pieces.
- Place pork in bowl, add salt, and work in thoroughly.
- Arrange 5 or more luau leaves on the palm of the hand.
- Place one piece of pork, pork fat and one piece of of fish on leaves and fold to
form a bundle.
- Take lau lau and place at the end of the ti leaf, making sure to tightly wrap together.
- Taking another ti leaf and wrap in the other direction.
- Securely tightly with twine.
- Steam 4-6 hours or steam in a pressure cooker for 1 hour.
Traditionally cooked in an imu, or underground just like kalua pig. This video shows the hard work in making this for special occasions.