Hawaiian Style Ho’io (Fern Shoots) Salad
Favorite and healthy Ho’io Fern Shoot Salad. Enjoy!
Ho'io (Fern Shoots) Salad
Cuisine: Hawaiian Style
- ½ pound ho'io fern shoots
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup sweet Maui onion
- ¼ cup green onion
- ½ cup limu kohu
- 2 to 3 ounce package dried opae (shrimp)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon patis
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Rinse fern shoots with cold water. Break off or cut hard ends of ho'io. Cut in half to fit pot. Blanch fern shoots in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cut into 1 to 1½ inch pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Add rest of ingredients except dried shrimp and toss together, set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients and mix until sugar is dissolved and add dried shrimp and let soak until shrimp is softened or 5 to 10 minutes. Pour sauce over vegetables and mix together.
- Chill for several hours before serving.