Hawaiian Garlic Chicken – Plate Lunch Style
Try this with white rice and macaroni salad. Don’t forget to add extra sauce to your rice. Delicious!
Hawaiian Garlic Chicken
- Garlic Sauce
- 1 cup Aloha shoyu, or light soy sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or sriracha
- Chicken & Coating
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium pot, combine sauce ingredients and bring to a boil, then simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside. Taste garlic sauce and adjust ingredients to you liking.
- Mix together flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Marinade a little garlic sauce with chicken. Then coat in flour mixture.
- Deep fry chicken until cooked through.
- Shake off excess oil and immediately dip chicken in sauce and place on serving platter.
I like to soak cooked chicken in garlic sauce for a minute, just a personal preference or you can coat it quickly. Enjoy!