Fresh Coconut Haupia
You can’t beat the taste of fresh coconut milk when making haupia. Rarely done this way but for those that want fresh here’s the way to go. Enjoy!
- 10 cups coconut, grated
- 10 cups hot water
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1 cup non-fat dry milk (instant)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/1/2 cups cornstarch
- Mix coconut meat with very hot water. Using a blender, extract the extra milk from coconut. Use a double cheese cloth and squeeze as much milk as possible. Put 2 cups of coconut milk aside to be used with the cornstarch later.
- Mix sugar, instant milk, and salt well.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch and 2 cups coconut milk. Use a large non-stick pot to heat 8 cups coconut milk to below boiling point.
- Add dry ingredients and stir well.
- Again bring milk to boiling point and immediately add cornstarch mixture slowly and stir well until clear, or until cornstarch is cooked.
- Pour into pans immediately, cool and refrigerate.
- Makes two 7x11 pans. Enjoy!