Delicious Haupia Shortbread Bars
Try this simple shortbread cookie crust with haupia and cool whip. Enjoy!
Haupia Shortbread Bars
Recipe type: Dessert
- Shortbread Crust
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ sticks butter, sliced
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- Haupia Filling
- 2 cans coconut milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 container cool whip
- Shredded coconut, toasted
- Chopped mac nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Crust: Sift together flour and sugar. Add slices of butter and mix until combined then fold in nuts. Spread in baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes are until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Filling: In a medium saucepan, add coconut milk, sugar and 1 cup water, cook until warm and sugar is dissolved.
- Mix together cornstarch and water. Bring coconut mixture to a boil and add cornstarch mixture and vanilla. Stir continuously with a rubber spoon until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool, keep stirring periodically. To cool haupia quicker, place pot in a bowl of ice water.
- Pour haupia over crust and place plastic wrap over filling. Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Before serving spread cool whip over haupia and top with toasted shredded coconut and nuts, optional.