Delicious Haupia Delight Squares
Simple and delicious haupia delight squares for any occasion. Enjoy!
Haupia Delight Squares
Cuisine: Hawaiian Local Style
- 2 cups flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into slices
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Haupia Filling
- 2 frozen (12 ounce) packages coconut milk
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 container cool whip
- 1 small package sweetened coconut flakes
- Food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease or spray 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Crust: In a mixing bowl, add flour and sugar. Gently stir together so sugar is distributed evenly throughout flour. Then add butter and nuts and mix until clumpy or you can form into a loose ball. Try not to over mix.
- Put into baking dish and gently press to cover bottom of pan. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes or until sides of crust are lightly brown.
- Haupia filling: In a saucepan, add coconut milk and sugar. Cook on medium heat and bring to a light boil; stir continuously. Add water to cornstarch to make a slurry. Remove saucepan from heat and add cornstarch mixture a little at a time. Put back on heat and stir continuously until haupia thickens. Remove from heat and let cool until warm. Stir a few times while waiting for mixture to cool to warm.
- Pour mixture onto crust and cover with plastic wrap, making sure plastic wrap is lying on haupia. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until haupia is set.
- Topping: Spread cool whip on top of haupia and top with toasted coconut, or color your shredded coconut or just add regular sweetened coconut.
To toast shredded coconut, heat pan on medium and add coconut, cook until lightly brown, stir throughout.