Sweet and Tart Guava Lemon Bars
Try this delicious guava lemon bars recipe by chef Mark, from the Big Island of Hawaii. Enjoy!
Guava Lemon Bars
Cuisine: Hawaiian and Local Style Recipes
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 stick or ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, crushed
- Guava filling:
- ½ cup flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup undiluted guava juice, frozen concentrate
- 1 lemon zest
- 6 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, pinch
- Powdered sugar
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Whisk together ½ cup of powdered sugar and 1 ½ cups of flour until evenly incorporated. Next, add butter and nuts, then and gently mix ingredients to form a flaky dough like consistency. Try not to over work dough. Press dough into bottom of baking pan and bring dough ¼ inch side of pan.
- Cover the crust with a piece of parchment paper, place another 9 x13 pan onto the parchment and weigh down with beans or rice to evenly distribute weight. This will help to keep crust down while baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Filling: In a medium bowl whisk eggs and a pinch of salt. Set aside. In a separate large bowl add flour and sugar, mix until incorporated. Add lemon and guava juice, the zest of one lemon and whisk until dissolved. Then add eggs and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into cooked crust and bake at 275 degrees for another 20 to 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick and it should be moist and a little tacky.
- Let cool and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Lilikoi Lemon Bars by Chef Mark