Local Style Gandule Rice
Here’s a hearty local style gandule rice recipe. To make it easier we used Sazon Goya annatto seasonings which makes the rice even tastier. Enjoy!
Cuisine: Local Style Puerto Rican Recipe
- 1½ cups medium grain white rice, washed and drained
- 1-2 tablespoons achiote oil
- ½ pound pork, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 packets Sazon goya coriander and annatto
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 can (15 ounce) green pigeon peas
- 1 can (6 ounce) black olives, drained
- 1 can (4 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1½ cups water
- Wash uncooked rice and drain; set aside.
- In a heavy pot, heat oil on medium high heat and brown chopped pork. Stir in green peppers and onions, cook until translucent. Then add in seasoning packets, garlic, cilantro and oregano. Stir together until fragrant, about half a minute.
- Add in pigeon peas, black olives, tomato sauce, water and rice. Stir once and bring to a boil.Cook uncovered for about 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Stir rice gently from the bottom up.
- Lower heat to medium low and continue cooking covered until rice is soft and tender; about 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Cover pot and let stand 5 minutes.
Recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/arroz-con-gandules