Delicious Cone Sushi – Inarizushi
A local favorite, cone sushi is found at Japanese local lunch shops. Delicious as a quick snack. Enjoy!
- Unseasoned Aburage (deep-fried tofu pouches)
- 12 aburage triangles (cut if using squares pouches)
- 8 cups water
- Aburage seasoning:
- 2½ cups water
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon hondashi
- 3⅓ cups white rice, cooked
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cooked carrots, chopped fine
- ¼ cup sushi vinegar (you can buy or make your own)
- *Homemade Sushi Vinegar
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 2-1/3 cups vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, optional
- Aburage: In a large pot, place aburage in water and boil for 30 minutes. This will remove oil from age wrappers. Cool enough to squeeze excess liquid from age.
- Aburage seasonings: Use a clean pot and add seasoning ingredients and bring to a boil. Then add pouches to boiling water and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Rice: Mix together cooked white rice with salt, sugar, carrots and sushi vinegar.
- Take sushi rice and place into pouches. Makes 12 delicious cone sushi. Yummy!
- *Homemade Sushi vinegar: Combine sushi vinegar ingredients, shake and refrigerate.
If you use seasoned aburage, then you can skip the boiling process. Follow instructions on package, and make your sushi rice filling for the aburage pouches. Enjoy!
Here’s another good Japanese style recipe, with a bit more flavor and ingredients.
- 8 Unseasoned Aburage square pouches
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Vegetable seasoning:
- 3 large dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Sushi rice:
- 3 cups cooked white rice (use ¼ less water when cooking uncooked rice)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ to ½ cup sushi (rice) vinegar
- Aburage: In a large pot, boil 6 cups of water. Cut one side of each aburage. Carefully open each pouch. Place in pot and boil for 1 to 5 minutes to remove oil from aburage. Drain well.
- Seasoning: Place 2 cups water, soy sauce, and sugar in a pot and boil. Add the aburage, and cook for 10-15 minutes. Let cool in pot for approximately 3 hours or overnight.
- Vegetable seasoning: Soak shiitake mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes. Squeeze excess liquid from mushrooms and add to reserve liquid. Will use later. Remove stems from mushrooms and slice thinly. Thinly slice carrots 1-1/2 inches long. Bring dashi, soy sauce, reserved shiitake liquid, and sugar to a boil. Add mushrooms and carrots; cook until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Sushi rice: Place 3 cups cooked rice in a bowl. In a small separate bowl, mix together salt, sugar and rice vinegar. Slowly fold in mixture to cooked rice. Then add in cooked vegetables and sesame seeds. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Combine: With wet hands, make 8 small oblong rice balls. Squeeze some of the excess liquid from aburage and place sushi rice inside.
Inarizushi Recipe – Japanese Cooking 101