Delicious Chocolate Haupia Pie
Haupia is a traditional coconut milk-based Hawaiian dessert and now coupled with chocolate is simply heavenly. If you live in Hawaii, you know Ted’s Bakery on the North Shore makes amazing Haupia Pies.
Here’s a great video showing how to make a this delicious dessert. A local favorite, whether you make it or buy it.
- 1 frozen pie crust (small)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 7oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- If using a frozen pie crust. Prepare pie crust according to directions.
- Whisk the following ingredients: sugar, milk and 1 can coconut milk.
- Next, stir water into cornstarch and set aside.
- Pour coconut milk mixture into sauce pan and bring to a boil, then turn heat lower to a simmer and whisk in cornstarch continually until thickened.
- Melt chocolate pieces in a microwave for just a minute.
- Separate the haupia mixture equally. Pour half the mixture into the melted chocolate and stir together and fill bottom of pie crust. The other half pour on the top of mixed chocolate.
- Refrigerate the haupia pie for at least 1 hour.
- Whip heavy cream with remaining sugar until peaks are formed and add to pie.
- Refrigerate for another hour and enjoy!