Chinese Pot Roast Chicken
Try this local style delicious Chinese roast chicken with a tasty gravy. Enjoy!
Chinese Roast Chicken
Cuisine: Chinese Local Style Recipe
- 3½ to 4 pound whole chicken fryer
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- 6 cups water
- ¾ cup shoyu
- 6 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- ¾ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups liquid from chicken
- Chicken: Cut chicken into quarters. Then rinse and pat dry. Take cornstarch and rub all sides of chicken parts. Add oil to pot and brown chicken pieces. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Seasonings: In the same pot, add water and seasonings and bring to a boil. Add chicken and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes and then turn pieces and simmer for another 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and place on serving platter.
- Gravy: Take about 2 to 3 cups liquid from pot and add to a heated medium sauce pan. Dissolve cornstarch with water and add to sauce pan; cook until mixture thickens. Spoon over chicken pieces.
You can make more gravy if needed, just increase cornstarch mixture to thicken. The gravy is delicious. Enjoy!