Easy Chicken Papaya Soup
Delicious big bowl of chicken papaya soup. A local style Filipino (Tinola) recipe.
There are different versions to this dish, but here’s a simple and tasty favorite. Enjoy!
Chicken Papaya "Tinola" Recipe
Cuisine: Filipino Local Style
Recipe type: Main or Side Dish
- 1 medium green papaya
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1½-inch ginger, crushed and sliced
- 1 to 1½ pounds chicken legs or chicken parts, skin on with bones
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ¼ cup patis, (fish sauce)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups marungay leaves, spinach or watercress
- Peel papaya, cut in half and remove seeds and slice; set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot and add garlic and ginger and cook until light brown.
- Next, add chicken and cook until lightly brown. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add patis, water and papaya.
- Cover pot and simmer on low heat for about 1 to 2 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
- Turn off heat and add marungay, spinach or watercress.
Don't worry if your papaya appears to be green and hard, but when you cut in open it may still be a light orange color. The soup is still delicious.
Chicken Tinola Filipino Recipe with Papaya – Chicken Soup Lutong Pinoy