California Roll – Temaki
Try this simple and tasty local style California roll, a favorite in Hawaii. Try making the cone version (Temaki), seems to be the easiest and you can stuff more of your favorite sushi ingredients. Enjoy!
- 6 cups uncooked rice, (use rice cooker measurement)
- 6 sticks imitation crab
- 1 small Japanese cucumber
- 1 small avocado
- 1 cup Best Foods mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 6 sheets nori
- 1 wasabi tube
- Cook 6 cups rice. Optional: you can add a little sushi vinegar to your rice or leave it plain.
- Prepare sushi ingredients Take imitation crab and split lengthwise to make 12 sticks. Cut cucumber to match crab stick lengths, slice to make 12 sticks. Peel a slice avocado into 12 thin slices. Then, mix mayonnaise and salt; set aside.
- Roll: On a bamboo sushi mat, place one nori sheet shiny side facing down. Layer with rice leaving the end farthest away from you empty. Then spread mayonnaise (about 2 tablespoons) over rice. Add a thin line of wasabi, according to taste, and place 2 crabs sticks, 2 cucumbers and 2 avocados slices, or add more or less of your favorite ingredients.
- Roll sushi and then cut into 8 pieces.
Here’s an example video using a bamboo sushi mat for rolling your sushi.
This video is not in english, but midway he demonstrates how to make temaki (cone) sushi by hand.