Hawaiian Salted Boiled Peanuts
Delicious boiled peanuts with Hawaiian salt and star anise. Enjoy!
Cuisine: Local Style Recipe
- 1 pound raw peanuts, with shells
- 1½ whole star anise
- 1 gallon or 4 quarts water
- ½ - 1 cup Hawaiian salt, or to taste
- Clean: Rinse peanuts with cold water and drain. Continue until water runs clear.
- In a large container, add peanuts and pour gallon of water over. Mix in Hawaiian salt; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cooking Method
- Stove Top: Place soaked peanuts with water in a large pot. Add star anise and bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for about 3 hours. Add more water to pot if needed.
- Pressure Cooker: Place soaked peanuts in pressure cooker. Add star anise and cover. Cook for 1 hour with pressure up to 15 pounds. According to manufacturer's instructions, release pressure. Soak for 25 to 30 minutes or longer, until peanuts are soft; drain water.
If peanuts are too salty, drain salted water and rinse with fresh water.