Punaluu Apple Sweet Bread Pudding
If you can’t find Punaluu sweet bread, you can use your favorite sweet bread for this delicious apple bread pudding recipe. Enjoy!
Apple Sweet Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
Cuisine: Hawaiian Local Style Recipe
- Bread Pudding
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf Punaluu apple cinnamon sweet bread, cubed or broken into pieces
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 stick or half cup butter
- 2 (12 ounce) cans carnation evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or as desired
- Vanilla Sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Add cubed sweet bread and put into greased baking pan. Then spread apple pie filling over bread.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter, milk and sugar on low heat. Pour into a mixing bowl and let cool. Then add beaten eggs and vanilla to butter mixture and blend well.
- Pour ¾ egg butter mixture over apples and push down with a spoon to get mixture to soak into the sweet bread. Then add remaining mixture.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, uncovered and top should be slightly brown when finished.
- Vanilla Sauce: In a medium size saucepan, add sugar, salt and water. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Set aside. Bring mixture almost to a boil and add cornstarch mixture. Stir continuously until thickened. Turn heat to low and add butter and vanilla; whisking until blended.
- Drizzle over sweet bread pudding.