Local Chinese Almond Cookies
Light and crispy with just enough almond flavor. Delicious!
Chinese Almond Cookies
Cuisine: Chinese Local Style Recipes
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, or a pinch
- Butter mixture:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 sheets plastic wrap
- 1 cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Package almonds, whole or slivered
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Butter mixture: In another bowl, (mix with an electric mixer) butter and sugar. Then add in egg and extract. Continue to mix on low until just combined. Dough should be crumbly. Form mixture into dough and then into 2 rolls about a foot long.
- Cookie: Wrap rolls with plastic wrap and refrigerate approximately 2 hours.
- Bake: Preheat oven 325 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or you can lightly grease sheet.
- Cut one log into 15 pieces or ¾ inch thick. Then form into a ball and place on cookie sheet. Leave about a 1 to 1/1/2 inches between dough balls.
- Then place almond in the center and press down slightly. Then lightly brush beaten egg over each cookie.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until light brown. Cool on wired rack and store in air tight container.
Makes a little over 2 dozen cookies.