Healthy and Simple Ahi Fish Chowder
For most of us, we love ahi poke and sashimi, but when cooking for Mom or Grandma they need a little healthier toned down version.
Here is a simple and healthier dish for those with special dietary needs.
- 1 medium round onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium size potato, cut in chunks or cubed
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2% milk-fat)
- ¾ pound ahi, cut in chunks
- 1 can (4 oz.) shrimp, drained
- 2 cups milk (2%) or skim milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a 3-quart pot, add margarine and cook onions on medium heat until tender; stir frequently. Next add flour and mix well. Slowly add 2 cups water and stir until blended well.
- Add potatoes, celery and seasonings to onions and stir. Bring to a boil and and lower to medium low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Next, add shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Add ahi chunks, shrimp, and milk; simmer until ahi is cooked through; stir occasionally.
- Season to taste.